Man Narrates How He Defrauded Bishop Oyedepo, Dantata, Otudeko, Others of Millions of Naira

The Federal Capital Territory Police Command has arrested a 25-year-old graduate of political science, Jehu Kwasu for impersonating the Catholic Bishop of Sokoto Diocese, Bishop Matthew Kukah and defrauding prominent Nigerians of millions of Naira.

According to PUNCH, the suspect, who is the son of late Anglican Bishop, James Kwasu said his victims included Bishop David Oyedepo of Living Faith Church Worldwide; the Chairman of Honeywell Group, Oba Otudeko; Admiral Ndubuisi Kanu; and businessman, Alhaji Aminu Dantata.

He said Oyedepo gave him N500,000, Otudeko gave him N1m, Kanu gave him N500,000, and Dantata gave him N2m.

“I collected N500,000 from Otudeko, CEO, Honeywell: From Admiral Kanu, I got N500,000. I also got N500,000 from Bishop Oyedepo and N2m from Dantata. I also got money from General Wushishi and others.

I opened a Guaranty Trust Bank account in Bishop Kukah’s name. I registered a SIM card in my name, but used Bishop Kukah’s picture on my True Caller account, so that when I call, his picture would appear (on the recipient’s phone.),” he said, adding that he allegedly collected the money for Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs).

The report stated that the suspect said that he realised over N5.7m. Police sources said that N1.7m was found in his account, adding that he spent most of the money he made on girls and hard drugs.

“I also obtained a passport in Bishop Kukah’s name which I used to open an account with GTB. The money I realised was paid into the account and I used an Automated Teller Machine card to withdraw it,” the suspect said.

The suspect also used his father’s name to defraud the Governor of Katsina state, Aminu Masari, when he (Masari) was the Speaker of the House of representatives.

The suspect had been arrested and remanded in prison for impersonating one Bishop Steven Akobe of the Anglican Diocese of Kabba, Kogi State, for attempting to defraud former Senate President, David Mark.

Kwasu said that “(David) Mark said I should come for some money, so I sent my girlfriend. But she was arrested and I was taken to court and sentenced to two months imprisonment or N9,000 fine.”

He was later granted bail.

According to Muhammad Mustafa, the FCT Commissioner of Police, Kukah complained to the police after he was alerted to the scam.

The police then asked the bank to place a “No Debit Order” on the account, which made Kwasu visit the bank to complain.

He was arrested when he got to the bank.

“We received a petition from Bishop Kukah alleging that the boy had been impersonating him and extorting money from prominent people. So, my men went to work and were able to track the suspect and arrest him. He is a habitual criminal and I would like to advise the public against responding to emails or phone calls from unknown persons requesting financial support for one cause or the other,” Mustapha said.

PUNCH stated that the suspect is serving a two-month sentence in the Keffi Prison.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Prove you Human *