Charity Annan Adupong : The making of a Creative Food Entrepreneur

Ghana has moved up the rank in entrepreneurship, thanks to entrepreneurs such as Charity Annan Adupong, who believes it is time home-grown successful entrepreneurs began to invest their knowledge, expertise and experience in helping young businesses. Ola Babs reports.

When Cape Coast Polytechnic graduate Charity Adupong realized the poultry industry in Ghana is affected by imported processed meat. According to her, about 90% of chicken eaten in Ghana are imported leaving the country with just 10%, so she decided bridge the gap.

Charity is the founder of Meannan Foods, an indigenous agro-processing company with a focus on the agribusiness and manufacturing sectors. She set up the company in 2006.

As an entrepreneur, Charity Adupong‘s products have significantly impacted thousands of food businesses across Ghana and beyond.
Her enterprise aimed to reduce Ghana’s immense dependence on food imports. The company sources farm products from local farmers, processes them and sells locally. Thereby giving them the peace of mind to produce quality farm products and boost their effort.
The company offers palm oil, tom brown, plantain fufu, cassava flour/24manioc, banku, egusi, coated groundnuts, roasted groundnuts, roasted cashew, powdered chilly and all purpose mixed spices for commercial and institutional buyers, including food processors, caterers, restaurants, hotels, wholesalers and retailers.

With fresh eggs which the company is known for, she profile small hold farmers across 3 regions in Ghana and give them ready market for their produce which are sold in over 30 retail outlets such as Shoprite, GAME and Maxmart, Melcom , Marina mall amongst others.

The company also produces corn grits cereal, whole peeled corn cereal, cow peas and black eye peas fortified with vitamins and minerals, which are complete meal that fights malnutrition, black eye peas and bulk commodities such as garlic, ginger and peanut butter which are used by noodle, pastry and biscuit manufacturers.

Charity said what’s unique about her company’s eggs is that there is expiration date on each egg they sell which is a first in Ghana.

“I started my business in September 2006 while doing my national service and today I have more than 26 employees and a factory aiming to be the first to process eggs in sub Saharan Africa.” she said in a recent interview with Pleasures Magazine.

Meannan Foods has partnered key international development agencies to develop a local supply chain. To date, the company works with over 50 farmers and intends to extend this partnership to 100 by 2020.

Giving back, Charity is a visioner, who uses this domain knowledge and networks of contacts to support and guide entrepreneurs, creating significant value for the business.

You may reach Meannan Foods on +233 24 428 0527
IG: @egg-cellentmeannan
Facebook: Meannan Foods


Advertise your brands, products and services on Pleasures Magazine. | Print | Digital | Online. Call or whatsapp +233 24 853 5560 , +234 706 106 8861. Email us:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Prove you Human *