We constantly features designers and the lookbooks; however, very little attention is given to the models who work hard to embody the essence of every campaign or editorial under rain or shine. These beautiful women are made to do extraordinary things to bring life to products.
For this reason, our Style Team has spent the past few days combing through every Nigerian modelling agency’s website and Instagram looking for those fresh faces that are clearly carving a niche. We have found a selection of models who are working with the juiciest campaigns this season – from Maki Oh, Meena to Deola Sagoe’s Komole Kandids series.
Our selection was largely based on their current relevance and how hotly in demand they are – courtesy the many look books and campaigns we’re privy to – for the other part, we considered their body of editorial work and the powerful camera presence they exude. In rarer cases such as Myever Akinleye’s we put even broader consideration to her 2015 catwalks in which case she clearly dominated last season’s Lagos Fashion and Design Week catwalks as she singly opened and closed the most shows than any model that walked the week.
No, our search did not stop there. We went a little further and searched every high fashion photographer’s Instagram feed looking for those who might not be signed to any agency but working really hard on their own. We combed through their pages which led us to magazines, stylists and make-up artist’s feeds too. In summary, we searched every nook and cranny of the internet to bring you this definitive list of these promising models. They’re young, fiercely talented, unforgettable and in demand hence their place on this list.
Below are our 10 Most Promising Nigerian Models in 2016
10. Name: Taymesan Ahwiew | Height: 6’3ft | Age: 19 | Agency: Few Model Management
Leading Brands Worked With: Lagos Fashion and Design Week, Orange Culture, Maxivive; Photographers: Visions Photography, Lawal Fawaz, Dola Posh
9. Name: Titilayo Ayorinde | Height: 5’11 | Age: 24 | Agency: Zahara Model Management Leading Brands Worked For: Illuzion Magazine, Ade Bakare, Belois Couture, Spice, Sunny Rose, Kiki Kamanu; Photographers: Terna Iwar, Romeo Shagba, Gottay, Imagio
8. Name: Ifeoma Nwobo | Height: 5’8 | Age: 16 | Agency: Few Model Management Leading Brands Worked For: T.I Nathan, Face of Mae Otti Spring/Summer 2016 Campaign, Yemi Koshiba, Face of Jaguar Lagos Fashion Awards
7. Name: Damilola Oni | Height: 5’9ft | Age: 22 | Agency: Few Model Management Leading Designers Worked For: Face of Maki oh’s Fall 2016 Read-to-Wear Collection, Grey Project’s White Shirts Spring/Summer 2016; Magazines:Vogue.com
6. Name: Seun Logan | Height: 6’1ft | Age: 18 | Agency: Beth Model Managemen Leading Brands Worked For: Merwe Mode, Blanc, Maxivive, TI Nathan, MTN, Jumia, British Council; Magazines: Nataal Media, Fucking Young, Mania Magazine; Photographers: Lakin Ogunbowa, D’mayo, Jerrie Rotimi, Emmanuel Oyeleke, Tope Horpload
5. Name: Olamide Ogundele | Height: 5’9 | Age: 22 | Agency: Few Model Management Leading Magazines Worked For: Mania magazine, Complete Fashion Cover;Look books: Seven Dejana SS16, Deola Sageo Komole Kandid; Campaigns: Face of LFDW 2015, TV commercial for Naira Box; Photographers: Lakin Ogunbanwo, Jerrie Rotimi, Kelechi Amadi-Obi, Ogoh Clem
3. Name: Toyin Oyeneye | Height: 6’2ft | Age: 20 | Agency: Beth Model Management
Leading Brands Worked For: Nivea Men, Adidas, Spree, Ackermans; Magazines:GQ South Africa Cover, Vanity Fair, Elle, Cosmo, Mania, Genevieve Magazine;Photographers: Hakeem Salaam, Kelechi Amadi Obi, Obi Somto, Jerrie Rotimi, Travys Owen, Lakin Ogunbowa
2. Name: Aduke Shitta Bey | Height: 5’8ft | Age: 18 | Agency: Beth Model Management Leading Brands Worked For: Deola Sagoe, MAC, MUD Nigeria, Meena, Vogue Italia, Style Mania; Photographers: Reze Bonna, Lakin Ogunbowa, Paul Ukonu and Jerrie Rotimi
Leading Designers Worked: Bridget Awosika, Mai Atafo, Maki oh, Lanre Da silva, Tiffany Amber, Ejiro Amos Tafiri, Andrea Iyamah, Deola Sagoe; Campaign: 1702 London; Fashion Week: Lagos Fashion and Design Week 2015; Photographers:Adore, Jerrie Rotimi